I was late to the game in terms of smartphones, so when I finally got one I felt a bit overwhelmed when it came to installing apps. Recommendations from friends helped, and the first thing I did was install some highly touted security software. Free apps are always my favorites, but I've come across more than one that sounds good in terms of what it can do, but it had horrible reviews with complaints about the permissions. Luckily I've never gotten burnt by a malicious app, but I know people who have. I'd like to think that most app developers are just trying to make a good product and make money, but as with most things there are always a few bad eggs.Related Articles
- Do battery-saving apps really work?
- Are free-texting apps legal?
- 10 Noise-free iPad Games
- 5 Multitasking Apps
- Top 10 iPhone Food Apps
- Hildenbrand, Jerry. "Android 101: What some of those scary application permissions mean." Android Central. July 9, 2011. (Sept. 17, 2012) http://www.androidcentral.com/look-application-permissions
- Hoffman, Chris. "How App Permissions Work & Why You Should Care [Android]." Make Use Of. May 21, 2012. (Sept. 17, 2012) http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/app-permissions-work-care-android/
- Jordan Goodson, Tecca. "How to avoid malicious apps on your phone." USA Today. April 9, 2012. (Sept. 17, 2012) http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-04-09/malicious-security-apps/54127696/1
- Kassner, Michael. "Bad Apps: Avoid Them." Tech Republic. July 1, 2011. (Sept. 16, 2012) http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/bad-apps-avoid-them/2990
- Perez, Sarah. "Dear iPhone Users: Your Apps Are Spying On You." ReadWriteWeb. Aug. 16, 2009. (Sept. 16, 2012) http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/dear_iphone_users_your_apps_are_spying_on_you.php
- McPherson, Frank. "Android App Permissions Explained." Social Times. July 29, 2010. (Sept. 16, 2012) http://socialtimes.com/android-app-permissions-explained_b47761
- Perlroth, Nicole and Nick Bilton. "Mobile Apps Take Data Without Permission." The New York Times Bits Blog. Feb. 15, 2012. (Sept. 16, 2012) http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/google-and-mobile-apps-take-data-books-without-permission/
- Purdy, Kevin. "How Can I Tell If An Android App is Malware?" Lifehacker. Nov. 2, 2010. (Sept. 17, 2012) http://lifehacker.com/5679471/how-can-i-tell-if-an-android-app-is-malware
- Rowinski, Dan. "[Infographic] Pay Attention to Mobile App Permissions!" ReadWriteWeb/Mobile. Aug. 20, 2012. (Sept, 17, 2012) http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2012/08/infographic-pay-attention-to-mobile-app-permissions.php
- Smith, Gerry. "'Find and Call': Apple Removes First Malicious App To Enter App Store." Huffington Post, July 6, 2012. (Sept. 16, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/06/find-and-call-apple_n_1654076.html