Lots More Information
In the Windows operating system, shutdown and restart both can be used to turn off your PC. But they don't do it exactly the same way.
Author's Note: 10 Major Players in Supercomputers
Going into this article, I really didn't know what to expect. I was afraid the information was going to be drier than a day-old piece of toast. But as I researched the different labs, I was amazed at the range of work that these computers are being used for -- everything from medical research, space research, climate prediction and even animation. Bravo, supercomputers and the people who run you. Bravo!
- "Cineca". Top500 Computer Sites. June 2012. (Sept. 2, 2012) http://i.top500.org/site/47495
- Derene, Glenn. "How IBM Built the Most Powerful Computer in the World." Popular Mechanics. Dec. 28, 2011. (Aug. 27, 2012) http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/extreme-machines/how-ibm-built-the-most-powerful-computer-in-the-world
- Davis, Bob. "China's Not-So-Super Computers." The Wall Street Journal. March 2013. (Sept 1, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303812904577298062429510918.html
- Dunbar, Jill. "Searching for Sister Planets." NASA Ames Research Center. March 6, 2012. (Aug. 29, 2012) http://www.nas.nasa.gov/publications/articles/feature_sister_planets_Kepler.html
- Dunbar, Jill and Jenvey, Karen. "NASA Supercomputer Enables Largest Cosmological Simulations" NASA Ames Research Center. Sept. 29, 2011. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/releases/2011/11-77AR.html
- Hämmerle, Hannelore and Nicole Crémel. "CERN makes it into supercomputing TOP500." Cern Courier. Aug. 20, 2007. (Aug. 29, 2012) http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/30870
- Hsu, Jeremy. "Supercomputer 'Titans' Face Huge Energy Costs". MSNBC News. Jan 23, 2012. (Sept. 1, 2012) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46077648/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/t/supercomputer-titans-face-huge-energy-costs
- Lim, Louisa. "China's Supercomputing Goal: From 'Zero To Hero'." All Things Considered. Aug. 2, 2011. (Sept. 1, 2012) http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138901851/chinas-supercomputing-goal-from-zero-to-hero
- Metz, Cade. "Japan Pushes World's Fastest Computer Past 10 Petaflop Barrier." Nov. 2, 2011. (Aug. 30, 2012) http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2011/11/japanese_megamachine/