Lots More Information
Supercomputers are getting backing from the White House. Learn more about supercomputers in the U.S. at HowStuffWorks Now.
Author's Note: 10 Major Players in Supercomputers
Going into this article, I really didn't know what to expect. I was afraid the information was going to be drier than a day-old piece of toast. But as I researched the different labs, I was amazed at the range of work that these computers are being used for -- everything from medical research, space research, climate prediction and even animation. Bravo, supercomputers and the people who run you. Bravo!
- "Cineca". Top500 Computer Sites. June 2012. (Sept. 2, 2012) http://i.top500.org/site/47495
- Derene, Glenn. "How IBM Built the Most Powerful Computer in the World." Popular Mechanics. Dec. 28, 2011. (Aug. 27, 2012) http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/extreme-machines/how-ibm-built-the-most-powerful-computer-in-the-world
- Davis, Bob. "China's Not-So-Super Computers." The Wall Street Journal. March 2013. (Sept 1, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303812904577298062429510918.html
- Dunbar, Jill. "Searching for Sister Planets." NASA Ames Research Center. March 6, 2012. (Aug. 29, 2012) http://www.nas.nasa.gov/publications/articles/feature_sister_planets_Kepler.html
- Dunbar, Jill and Jenvey, Karen. "NASA Supercomputer Enables Largest Cosmological Simulations" NASA Ames Research Center. Sept. 29, 2011. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/releases/2011/11-77AR.html
- Hämmerle, Hannelore and Nicole Crémel. "CERN makes it into supercomputing TOP500." Cern Courier. Aug. 20, 2007. (Aug. 29, 2012) http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/30870
- Hsu, Jeremy. "Supercomputer 'Titans' Face Huge Energy Costs". MSNBC News. Jan 23, 2012. (Sept. 1, 2012) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46077648/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/t/supercomputer-titans-face-huge-energy-costs
- Lim, Louisa. "China's Supercomputing Goal: From 'Zero To Hero'." All Things Considered. Aug. 2, 2011. (Sept. 1, 2012) http://www.npr.org/2011/08/02/138901851/chinas-supercomputing-goal-from-zero-to-hero
- Metz, Cade. "Japan Pushes World's Fastest Computer Past 10 Petaflop Barrier." Nov. 2, 2011. (Aug. 30, 2012) http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2011/11/japanese_megamachine/