Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How did the Internet start?
- How Internet Infrastructure Works
- How Domain Name Servers Work
- How Web Servers Work
- What is an IP address?
- How E-mail Works
- What is the Internet Tax Freedom Act?
- Where are Internet domain names registered and maintained?
- What are the standard top-level domain names and who controls them?
More Great Links
- Arnold, Bruce. "ICANN profile: History." Calson Analytics. January 2003. (July 28, 2008) http://www.caslon.com.au/icannprofile1.htm
- CircleID. "ICANN board approves sweeping overhaul of top-level domains." June 26, 2008. (July 25, 2008) http://www.circleid.com/posts/86269_icann_approves_overhaul_top_level_domains/
- Cybertelecom Federal Internet Law & Policy. "Derived from: Management of Internet Names and Addresses. (White Paper), Department of Congress (June 5, 1998)." History of DNS. (July 28, 2008) http://www.cybertelecom.org/dns/history.htm
- International Ad Hoc Committee. "Final Report of the International Ad Hoc Committee: Recommendations for Administration and Management of gTLDs." Feb. 4, 1997. http://www.gtld-mou.org/draft-iahc-recommend-00.html
- InterNIC. "The Domain Name System: a non-technical explanation -- why universal resolvability is important." Oct. 5, 2002. (Aug. 4, 2008) http://www.internic.net/faqs/authoritative-dns.html
- Weiss, Todd. "New .info domain name proves popular." Computer World. Nov. 18, 2002. (Aug. 5, 2008) http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/websitemgmt/story/0,10801,76008,00.html