Author's Note: Is printing still relevant?
Years ago, I printed every single one of my stories. I did this in part because I preferred to edit my work using a pen, but also because I didn't trust storage media like floppy disks and hard drives — and because there was no such thing as online backups. Now, I have multiple copies of every article on a local drive and online, which makes it nearly pointless to print reams of text. Pictures are a different story. As much as I enjoy seeing and sharing photos online, the digital versions don't have the same emotional impact as printed pictures hanging on my walls (or my fridge). So although digital has pretty much taken over my life, I will always have a printer for those jobs that really demand a physical manifestation of my work.
- Gendelman, Vladmir. "Print's Not Dead: Print Marketing Will Thrive in 2014 and Beyond." Marketing Profs. Jan. 8, 2014. (Aug. 8, 2015) http://www.marketingprofs.com/articles/2014/24084/print-marketing-will-thrive-in-2014-and-beyond
- IDC Press Release. "Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipment Value Increased in the Fourth Quarter of 2014, According to IDC." Feb. 25, 2015. (Aug. 8, 2015) http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS25441815
- Johnson, Steve. "Hewlett-Packard Stirs More Concerns with Decline in Printing." San Jose Mercury News. Dec. 9, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2015) http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22147261/hewlett-packard-stirs-more-concerns-decline-printing
- Kelleher, Kevin. "What's Killing the Printer Business?" Readwrite. July 18, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2015) http://readwrite.com/2012/07/18/whats-killing-the-printer-business
- Sikka, Puneet. "Must-know: Why does HP keep failing to grow its business?" Market Realist. June 12, 2014. (Aug. 8, 2015) http://finance.yahoo.com/news/weak-toner-sales-driving-decline-130028787.html
- Wood, Lamont. "Is the market for personal printers dying?" Computerworld. July 31, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2015) http://www.computerworld.com/article/2504936/personal-technology/is-the-market-for-personal-printers-dying-.html
- Wood, Lamont. "Today, printers. Tomorrow, 'integrated peripherals?'" Computerworld. May 8, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2015) http://www.computerworld.com/article/2503782/computer-hardware/today--printers--tomorrow---integrated-peripherals--.html