Problems with Time Management Software
The sheer number and variety of time management software programs may present an initial roadblock to consumers. Conducting an online search returns a staggering number of hits on the topic. Wading through reviews of each potential system to weigh its positive and negative attributes can be incredibly time-consuming, and setting aside work time to research how to organize your time can feel counterproductive.
For smaller companies, purchasing effective time management or time tracking software can be expensive. If small businesses already employ a tech manager, such an employee's time might be better served developing a unique system for the company. This would allow the business owners and managers to collaborate with employees and create an individualized system that targets their specific needs.
Though time management software products for individuals are not cost-prohibitive, they do tend to be one-size-fits-all frameworks. That means that, although many of the features can be beneficial, the program will also come along with features you might never need to use. With a little research, some focused brainstorming time, collaboration with other professionals and some inspiration, you can customize a system of your own.
Purchasing or downloading time management software may come at a price, even when the product is free. Online programs may have numerous users, slowing service to a crawl during peak times. Online programs also make use of speedy Internet connections. If you don't have access to a connection, you're out of luck. Another feature of online programs is the ability to sync your calendar to your smartphone, but you must own and know how to use such a device to make the most of the software.
Before you decide which program is right for you, spend some time weighing the pros and cons of different types of time management software. Once you find the best way to make the most of your time, you might find that your stress level will decrease, and you will have more time for the fun things in your life.
Visit the links below for more information about time management software.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Achieve Your Career Goals. "Pros and Cons of Buying Time-Management Software for Internet Marketing." (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.yourcareergoals.net/blog/set-goals/pros-and-cons-of-buying-time-management-software-for-internet-marketing
- Dovico. (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.dovico.com
- Effexis software. "Achieve Planner." (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.effexis.com/achieve/press/achieve-planner-description.htm
- Famundo. "Famundo." (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.famundo.com
- Franklin Covey. (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.franklincovey.com/
- Gueli, Arthur. "A Good Time Management System is Important Because…" SuccessMethods.org. (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.successmethods.org/time-management-system.html
- MeadCal. "MeadCal Family Organizer." (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.meadcal.com
- Microsoft Office Online. "Calendar I: Outlook calendar basics." (Accessed 1/13/10).http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC101000901033&pid=CR100654581033&ofcresset=1
- Office Time. "Know Where Your Time Goes."http://www.officetime.net/features.html
- Smartphone. "Organization." (Accessed 1/13/10).http://www.smartphone.net/en/usd/73,category,Organization.html
- Top Ten Reviews. "Time Tracking and Management Software Review." (Accessed 1/13/10).http://time-tracking-management-software-review.toptenreviews.com/time-tracking-and-management-books.html