Lots More Information
Author's Note: What is the world's fastest supercomputer used for?
I grew up in the 1960s, back when a computer was something that took up an entire room, and data was stored on punch cards that carried the printed warning "do not fold, spindle or mutilate." And you really couldn't do that much with them, either. So it's been nothing short of amazing to watch the advance of computing power and capabilities during my lifetime.
The first desktop PC that I bought in 1988 was about 10 times as fast as the onboard computer that the Apollo 11 astronauts used on the way to the Moon in 1969. And today, the iPhone that I carry in my pocket is vastly more powerful than either of them.
- Burt, Jeffrey. "Cray's Titan Supercomputer Displaces IBM's Sequoia as World's Fastest." eWeek. Nov. 11, 2012. (April 21, 2013) http://www.eweek.com/servers/crays-titan-supercomputer-displaces-ibms-sequoia-as-worlds-fastest/
- Goodwin, Bruce and Zacharia, Thomas. "The supercomputing race." Washington Post. June 23, 2011. (April 21, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-supercomputing-race/2011/06/22/AGou73hH_story.html
- Johnston, Donald B. "NNSA's Sequoia supercomputer ranked as world's fastest." Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. June 18, 2012. (Oct. 3, 2012) https://www.llnl.gov/news/newsreleases/2012/Jun/NR-12-06-07.html
- Kolawole, Emi. "Oak Ridge and NVIDIA unveil Titan supercomputer." Washington Post. Oct. 29, 2012. (April 20, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/post/oak-ridge-and-nvidia-unveil-titan-supercomputer/2012/10/28/78bf2e98-2110-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_blog.html
- NVIDIA. "What is GPU Computing?" Nvidia.com. Undated. (April 20, 2013)http://www.nvidia.com/object/what-is-gpu-computing.html
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory. "Introducing Titan." 2012. (April 20, 2013)http://www.olcf.ornl.gov/titan/
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Nov. 12, 2012. (April 20, 2013). "ORNL s supercomputer named world's most powerful" http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_releases/get_press_release.cfm?ReleaseNumber=mr20121112-00
- Peckham, Matt. "Meet Intel's Crazy 50-Core 'Knights Corner', World's First 1 TFLOPS Processor." Time. Nov. 17, 2011. (April 20, 2013) http://techland.time.com/2011/11/17/meet-intels-crazy-50-core-knights-corner-worlds-first-1-tflops-processor/#ixzz2R3wYzk4Q