OK, by this point, you've taken care to ensure the security of your data. But while it might be clean on the inside, the buyer, assuming you have one, isn't going to like getting a machine that's covered with fingerprints and encrusted with pizza remnants.
So be considerate and give your old machine a good external cleaning, using a soft damp cloth and compressed air to get particles out from the crevices in your keyboard. If it's a desktop, you can also unscrew the door on the case and use the compressed air to clean out dust bunnies on the inside. For a laptop, carefully turn the machine upside down and gently shake out the crumbs and dust in the keyboard.
Finally, use a soft glasses cloth to wipe away smears and fingerprints from the screen. You'll feel better that you did [source: Asch].
Author's Note: 10 Things to Do Before You Wipe Your Computer
I've owned a lot of computers over the years, and naturally, like anyone else, I'm concerned about protecting my personal data from falling into the wrong hands. For a long time I've used add-on security programs to encrypt and password-protect sensitive files, which gives me a layer of protection even if I lose a laptop or have one stolen. I've never sold one of my old PCs to a stranger. Instead, I usually keep them around as backups, or else give them to my son or my wife to use. In most instances, they eventually wear out or become obsolete. What I then usually do is take out the hard drive, stick it on a shelf in my basement, and recycle the remaining parts. Someday I'll get around to disposing those drives, I promise.
- Adobe. "Activation, deactivation | Sign in, sign out | Adobe products." (Oct. 21, 2013) http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-deactivation-products.html
- Apple. "iTunes store: About authorization and deauthorization." (Oct. 21, 2013) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420
- Apple. "How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac." (Oct. 21, 2013) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889
- Apple. "Reuse and Recycling Program." (Oct. 20, 2013) http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/
- Arndt, Rachel Z. "How to Wipe Your Computer Before You Sell It." Popular Mechanics. Aug. 7, 2013. (Oct. 20, 2013) http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/how-to-wipe-your-computer-before-you-sell-it-15780981
- Arthur, Charles. "Before you sell your computer, smash the hard drive, says Which?" The Guardian. Jan. 8, 2009. (Oct.21, 2013) http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2009/jan/08/hard-drive-security-which
- Asch, Josh. "How to Prepare a Used Mac for Sale." Gigaom.com. Feb. 25, 2011. (Oct. 20, 2013) http://gigaom.com/2011/02/25/how-to-prepare-a-used-mac-for-sale/
- E-cycle St. Louis. "Why Recycle Electronics?" (Oct. 20, 2013) http://www.ecyclestlouis.org/why.php
- Intel. "How to Transfer Files from PC to PC." (Oct. 21, 2013) http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/how-to-transfer-files-to-a-new-computer.html
- Kelleher, Andrew. "Responsible Hard-Drive Destruction - Let's Get Real." Semshred.com. December 2010. (Oct. 6, 2013) http://www.semshred.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/2480
- Lamb, Gregory M. "Read this before you sell or recycle your computer!" Christian Science Monitor. June 11, 2009. (Oct. 6, 2013) http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Responsible-Tech/2009/0611/read-this-before-you-sell-or-recycle-your-computer
- Lynn, Samara. "Can a Magnet Zap a Hard Drive as Depicted on Breaking Bad?" PCmag.com. July 16, 2012. (Oct. 20, 2013)http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407192,00.asp
- Microsoft. "Create and Format a Hard Disk Partition." (Oct. 21, 2013) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-format-hard-disk-partition#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7
- Microsoft. "How does Windows Easy Transfer make setting up a computer easier?" (Oct. 21, 2013) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-does-windows-easy-transfer-make-setting-up-a-computer-easier
- Microsoft. "How to more safely dispose of computers and other devices." (Oct. 21, 2013) http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/safely-dispose-computers-and-devices.aspx
- Microsoft. "Installing and Reinstalling Windows 7." (Oct. 21, 2013) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/installing-and-reinstalling-windows-7
- Newegg.com. "Seagate ST3120215ACE 120GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive." Newegg.com. (Oct. 21, 2013) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148691
- O'Reilly, Dennis. "The right way to destroy an old hard drive." Cnet.com. March 26, 2009. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10204724-68.html
- Owen, Dave. "Software Migration - Moving to a new computer." Media College. (Oct. 21, 2013) http://www.mediacollege.com/software/migration/
- Siegle, Lucy. What is the Lifespan of a Laptop?" The Guardian. Jan. 12, 2013. (Oct. 20, 2013) http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jan/13/lifespan-laptop-pc-planned-obsolescence
- Smith, Matt. "How To Install A New Hard Drive To Replace An Old One." Makeuseof.com. Jan. 25, 2011. (Oct. 21, 2013) http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-hard-drive-replace/
- Tsydenova, O. and Bengtsson, M. "Chemical hazards associated with treatment of waste electrical and electronic equipment." Waste Management. January 2011. (Oct. 21, 2013) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20869229
Google is redesigning the way we use email. HowStuffWorks delves into the changes.