Author's Note: Can e-mails be taxed?
Let's face it -- if our Internet service providers added a 10-cent tax to our monthly bills in the form of a bit tax, how many of us would even notice? Not many, probably. But many people still see the Internet as a free, wild place where information is shared and proliferated at a wonderfully low cost to the end user. That's probably why so many people have a violent reaction to the idea of an e-mail tax. Well, that and the fact that people just hate taxes. Long live free e-mail!
- Bradford, Harry. "Berkeley Councilman Proposes E-mail Tax to Save Post Office." Huffington Post. March 8, 2013. (April 2, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/08/email-tax-post-office-gordon-wozniak_n_2838324.html
- Chakraborty, Barnini. "Should the Government Tax Your E-mail? One California Official Thinks So." Fox News. Mar. 27, 2013. (April 2, 2013) http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/27/should-government-tax-email/
- CNN. "Tax on E-mail? Long-Running Hoax Endures." April 1, 2002. (April 2, 2013) http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/04/01/e.mail.hoax/index.html
- Geigner, Timothy. "Wrong Legislative Thought of the Day: An E-mail Tax to Save the Post Office." Techdirt. Mar. 11, 2013. (April 3, 2013) http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130308/10165422262/wrong-legislative-thought-day-email-tax-to-save-post-office.shtml
- Grant, Rebecca. "Why an E-mail Tax is Truly a 'Terrible Idea.'" Venturebeat. Mar. 7, 2013. (April 2, 2013) http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/07/why-an-email-tax-is-truly-a-terrible-idea/
- Mullin, Joe. "Is the Government Going to Tax Your E-mail? Only on Fox." Arstechnica. Mar. 27, 2013. (April 3, 2013) http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/is-the-government-going-to-tax-your-e-mail-only-on-fox/
- Oates, John. "Opposition to AOL's 'E-mail Tax' Grows." The Register. Mar. 1,2006. (April 2, 2013) http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/01/protest_aol_email/
- Raguso, Emilie. "Wozniak's E-mail Tax: Good Sense or Nonsense?" Berkeleyside. Mar. 7, 2013. (April 3, 2013) http://www.berkeleyside.com/2013/03/07/wozniaks-email-tax-good-sense-or-nonsense/
- Skelton, George. "E-mail Tax May Slice Spam and Scams out of Inboxes." Los Angeles Times. Mar. 24, 2013. (April 2, 2013) http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/24/local/la-me-cap-email-tax-20130325
- Snopes. "Bill 602P." May 27, 2011. (April 2, 2013) http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/bill602p.asp
- United Nations Development Programme. "Human Development Report 1999." 1999. (April 2, 2013) http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_1999_EN.pdf
- United States Senate. "Is it True That...There is a Bill in Congress to Impose a 5-cent Tax on E-mails?" (April 2, 2013) http://www.senate.gov/reference/common/faq/Bill_602P_Internet_Tax.shtml
- Welch, Matt. "What 'Courage' Looks like to a Big-Time Newspaper Columnist: Taxing E-mail." Reason. Mar. 26, 2013. http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/26/what-courage-looks-like-to-a-big-time-ne
- Worstall, Tim. "The Ridiculous Idea of Taxing Email to Save the USPO." Forbes. Mar. 12, 2013. (April 3, 2013) http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/03/12/the-ridiculous-idea-of-taxing-email-to-save-the-uspo/