Lots More Information
Author's Note: How does HIPAA compliance affect data sharing?
Keeping your health information safe is like keeping your Social Security number safe: In the wrong hands it can lead to identity theft -- or when it comes down to curing what ails you, improper treatment because someone else has hijacked your file. So the next time you're visiting your doctor (or hospital or pharmacy), don't just set aside the HIPAA brochure given to you during your visit; that paper contains important information about how your medical records are kept safe.
More Great Links
- American Medical Association (AMA). "HIPAA: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act." Sept. 23, 2013. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/hipaahealth-insurance-portability-accountability-act.page?
- American Medical Association (AMA). "HIPAA privacy and security toolkit: Helping your practice meet new compliance requirements." 2013. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.ama-assn.org//resources/doc/washington/hipaa-toolkit.pdf
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) -- Legal Preparedness Series: Public Health & Schools Toolkit. "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule--Fact Sheet." 2012. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.astho.org/uploadedFiles/Programs/Preparedness/Public_Health_Emergency_Law/Public_Health_and_Schools_Toolkit/06-PHS%20HIPAA%20FS%20Final%203-12.pdf
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. "Definition of Limited Data Set." Jan. 2005. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/institutional_review_board/hipaa_research/limited_data_set.html
- Levin, Adam. "Making Your Medical Records Safer." ABC/Good Morning America. Oct. 13, 2013. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://gma.yahoo.com/making-medical-records-safer-113101752--abc-news-topstories.html
- Partners in Human Research Committee. "Limited Data Sets in Research." (Oct. 13, 2013) http://healthcare.partners.org/phsirb/limdata.htm
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). "Federal Initiatives Related to Data Sharing." (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.samhsa.gov/co-occurring/topics/data/data-sharing.aspx
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. "Health Information Privacy: Guidance Materials for Consumers." (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/index.html
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. "Educational Materials: HIPAA Information Series for Providers." April 12, 2012. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/HIPAA-Administrative-Simplification/EducationMaterials/Educational-Materials.html
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. "Transaction & Code Sets Standards." April 17, 2013. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/HIPAA-Administrative-Simplification/TransactionCodeSetsStands/index.html
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Health Resources and Services Administration -- Health Information technology and Quality Improvement. "What is a 'covered entity' under HIPAA?." (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.hrsa.gov
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Office for Civil Rights. "Your Health Information Privacy Rights." (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/consumer_rights.pdf
- Wengrovitz, Anne Guthrie. "Overcoming Barriers to Data-Sharing Related to the HIPAA Privacy Rule." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. June 2004. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/policy/hipaa_clppp_june17_final.htm
- Xerox. "Fourth Annual Xerox Survey Shows Slow Progress in Patient Knowledge of Electronic Health Records." Sept. 30, 2013. (Oct. 13, 2013) http://news.xerox.com/news/Xerox-releases-4th-Annual-EHR-Survey