Remember when encyclopedias used to be old volumes that sat on your shelves? Not anymore. One of the world's most popular encyclopedia publishers has made its collection of knowledge come alive through interactive learning.
In this installment, Volcanoes, kids get to learn all about our hot bubbling Earth in a multitude of ways. Hyperlinks in the text immediately bring up definitions of new or tricky words. A click on the embedded graphics calls up a full-screen image or starts a related video.
But that's the stuff adults will care about. Kids will love the fun games the app comes with -- a memory match, a scratch-off guessing game, jigsaw puzzles and a high-speed quiz. They can brush off smoke to identify artifacts found in Pompeii. And they'll enjoy looking at the world map and figuring out (with a simple tap) how far away they are from the nearest volcano. Navigation is fun, too; a wheel at the bottom of the screen spins you to the app's various components.
Britannica has designed this app to appeal to kids from 8 to 12 years old, but we think it will interest anyone curious about volcanoes.
More Great Links
- 3D4 Medical. "Muscle System Pro II." (July 29) http://www.applications.3d4medical.com/muscle_pro.html
- 3D4 Medical. "Skeletal System Pro II." (July 29) http://applications.3d4medical.com/skeletal_pro.php
- Concentric Sky. "Britannica Kids: Volcanoes." (August 5, 2011) http://www.concentricsky.com/products/iphone/britannica-kids-volcanoes/
- iTunes Preview. "Frog Dissection." (July 29) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frog-dissection/id377626675?mt=8#
- National Science Foundation. "About the National Science Foundation." (July 29) http://www.nsf.gov/about/
- National Science Foundation. "About Funding." (July 29) http://www.nsf.gov/funding/aboutfunding.jsp
- National Science Foundation. "Active Funding Opportunities - Recently Announced." (July 29). http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_list.jsp?org=NSF&ord=rcnt
- Save The Frogs. "Frog Dissections." (July 29) http://www.savethefrogs.com/actions/dissections/index.html
Tablets can be used to shop online or to compare prices while you're shopping in physical stores. Find out how tablets have changed the retail world.