Lots More Information
Google is redesigning the way we use email. HowStuffWorks delves into the changes.
Author's Note: 10 Signs that Streaming Movie Site Isn't Legit
Contemporary peer-to-peer networks continue to flourish in spite of the best efforts of heavyweight copyright and corporate attorneys. When one service finally gets unplugged, another takes its place.
As if unauthorized downloads alone weren't causing enough difficulty, streaming content further muddies the waters. If you really love movies, you can do yourself and other movie buffs a favor: find legal ways to pay for and enjoy that content. In doing so, you support the entertainment industry and you dodge digital security pitfalls of all kinds, too.
- Albanesius, Chloe. "Senate Panel Oks Bill That Makes Streaming Pirated Content a Felony." PCmag.com. June 17, 2011. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387202,00.asp
- Bilton, Nick. "Internet Pirates Will Always Win." The New York Times. Aug. 4, 2012. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/sunday-review/internet-pirates-will-always-win.html
- Bilton, Nick. "Disruptions: For HBO, Still Beholden to a Cable Company." The New York Times Bits Blog. June 10, 2012. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/disruptions-for-hbo-still-beholden-to-a-cable-company/
- Collinson, Patrick and Jill Papworth. "Movie Download: Are you Sitting Comfortably (and Legally?)." The Guardian. April 15, 2011. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/apr/16/movie-downloads-streaming-legally
- Electronic Frontier Foundation. "Felony Penalties Proposed for 'Illegal Streaming': Senate Bill 978." June 23, 2011. (Aug. 9, 2012) https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/felony-penalties-proposed-illegal-streaming-senate
- Engleman, Eric. "Illegal Video Streaming Elevated to Felony Under Senate Bill." Bloomberg. June 16, 2011. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-16/illegal-video-streaming-elevated-to-felony-under-senate-measure.html
- Epstein, Zach. "Founder of Illegal Movie Streaming Site Sentenced to 4.5 Years in Jail, $4.7 Million Fine." BRG.com. June 15, 2012. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/15/file-sharing-shutdown-kino-to-founder-jail-fine/
- Fiegerman, Seth. "Streaming Movies Illegally May Soon be a Felony." Mainstreet.com. June 17, 2011. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.mainstreet.com/article/moneyinvesting/news/streaming-movies-illegally-may-soon-be-felony
- Motion Picture Association of America. "Get Movies & TV Shows." (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.mpaa.org/contentprotection/get-movies-tv-shows
- Motion Picture Association of America. "Types of Content Theft." (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.mpaa.org/contentprotection/types-of-content-theft
- Purewal, Sarah Jacobsson. "Senate Committee Votes to Make Illegal Streaming a Felony." PC World. June 17, 2011. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/230532/senate_committee_votes_to_make_illegal_streaming_a_felony.html
- Rabiner, Stephanie. "Is Streaming or Watching Movies Illegal?" Findlaw Blogs. April 23, 2012. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2012/04/is-streaming-or-watching-movies-illegal.html
- Raustiala, Kal and Chris Sprigman. "How Much Do Music and Movie Piracy Really Hurt the U.S. Economy?" Freakonomics.com. Jan. 12, 2012. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/01/12/how-much-do-music-and-movie-piracy-really-hurt-the-u-s-economy/
- United States Copyright Office. "DMCA Section 104 Report." August 2001. (Aug. 9, 2012) http://www.copyright.gov/reports/studies/dmca/sec-104-report-vol-1.pdf