Lots More Information
Google is redesigning the way we use email. HowStuffWorks delves into the changes.
Author's Note: 5 Signs that Download Site Isn't Legit
File sharing and media downloads really aren't my thing. I think the last time I downloaded free music was back in college during the original Napster days, and who knows what viruses my roommates and I unknowingly installed on our Gateway computers at the time. Luckily, I had a few anonymous sources for this article that pointed me towards a few reputable download sites that they trust and shared some common pitfalls when you're doing any kind of peer to peer file sharing.
You can consider this author's note a bonus tip on how to download free media safely: bribe a savvy friend into doing it for you. Save your computer and barter some homemade cupcakes for the files you want, because -- as you probably gleaned from this article -- if you don't know what you're doing, downloading files from the Internet is pretty risky.
- Bandcamp. "Features." (August 6, 2012) http://bandcamp.com/features/
- Emisoft. "May 21st the end of the world? (But malware still alive!)" May 18, 2011. (August 6, 2012) http://blog.emsisoft.com/2011/05/18/end-of-the-world-may-21st-but-malware-still-alive
- Geier, Eric. "How to Remove Malware from Your Windows PC." PC World. November 15, 2011. (Aug. 21, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/243818/how_to_remove_malware_from_your_windows_pc.html
- Google. "Malware." Stay Safe Online. (Aug. 6, 2012) http://www.google.com/goodtoknow/online-safety/malware/
- Ma, J. "Identifying Suspicious URLs: An Application of Large-Scale Online Learning." Department of Science & Computer Engineering, UC San Diego. 2009. (Aug. 6, 2012) https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:UTPe80Z6KkIJ:cseweb.ucsd.edu/~voelker/pubs/mal-URL-icml09.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESg7fHTmeg4toh9ThJb1aW89Ks3rvuSEvdTu0Afrb8rdF8crd4w2Yoc9v43nyBLatbsI51aquFqugeoFtojTn6Hbe83RBLhckrQM7JZj7fQuLPP3h5jZPRFNW9pnvM7MTaHqCs97&sig=AHIEtbTBzAANG4DrtX6WIe7PZ7ug2801JQ
- Malware Prevention. "Malware Prevention and Avoidance" (Aug. 6, 2012) http://www.malwarevault.com/prevention.html
- Malware Prevention. "OK so how does malware end up on a computer?" (Aug. 6, 2012) http://www.malwarevault.com/ways.html
- Provos, Niels. "All About Safe Browsing." The Chromium Blog. Jan. 31, 2012. (Aug. 6, 2012) http://blog.chromium.org/2012/01/all-about-safe-browsing.html
- University of Rochester. "Illegal Downloading – How Can You Avoid Digital Piracy?" Security Tip of the Week Archive. (Aug. 6, 2012) http://www.rochester.edu/its/security/securitytipofweek_archive.html#yourself37
- Zeltser, Lenny. "Free Online Tools for Looking Up Potentially Malicious Websites." (Aug. 6, 2012) http://zeltser.com/combating-malicious-software/lookup-malicious-websites.html