In addition to teaching toddlers colors, shapes and letters, the iPad can be used for another important part of toddler development: potty training. The Once Upon a Potty app, costing $2.99, introduces toddlers to potty training basics. The app focuses on building confidence in toddlers who are making the major developmental step from diaper to potty.
Available in versions for girls and boys, this app, based on Alona Frankel's books, teaches toddlers the names of body parts and functions and potty training terms through word association, text highlighting and sounds effects. The story can be narrated through "Read to Me," "Read It Myself" or "Autoplay" features. It also includes a potty training song that toddlers can sing along with to help them remember when they need to use the potty.
- Basulto, Dominic. "The Birth of the Digital Toddler." Big Think. August 9, 2011. (August 11, 2011). http://bigthink.com/ideas/39666
- Best Kid Apps. "Best iPad Apps for Toddlers." (Aug. 1, 2011). http://www.bestkidsapps.com/ages-0-4/best-ipad-apps-for-toddlers/
- Brown, Laura Lewis. "When Should You Introduce Your Child to Your Smartphone or Tablet. PBS. (August 5, 2011). August 11, 2011. http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2011/08/when-should-you-introduce-your-child-to-a-smartphone-or-tablet-217.html
- Buckleitner, Warren. "Five Great iPad Apps for Toddlers." NY Times. June 29, 2011. (August 3, 2011.) http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/29/five-great-ipad-apps-for-toddlers/
- Cunningham, Lori. "Top iPad Apps for Toddlers." My Life Scoop. June 24, 2011. http://mylifescoop.com/featured-stories/2011/06/top-10-ipad-apps-for-a-happy-toddler.html
- iTunes. "Clickysticky." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clickysticky/id365850969?mt=8#
- iTunes. "Dr. Seuss's ABC." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/sv/app/dr-seusss-abc/id354855128?mt=8
- iTunes. "Monkey Preschool Lunchbox." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/monkey-preschool-lunchbox/id328205875?mt=8
- iTunes. "Moo, Baa, La La La!." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/moo-baa-la-la-la-for-ipad/id431302275?mt=8
- iTunes. "Once Upon a Potty." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/once-upon-a-potty-boy/id439286328?mt=8
- iTunes. "PBS Kids." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pbs-kids-video-for-ipad/id435138734?mt=8
- iTunes. "Shape Builder." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shape-builder-preschool-learning/id306572986?mt=8#
- iTunes. "Talking Gina the Giraffe." (August 3, 2011). http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/talking-gina-the-giraffe/id402688503?mt=8#
- Janes, Theoden. "iPads for Toddlers?" Charlotte News and Observer. December 5, 2010. (August 3, 2011). http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/12/05/1888035/ipads-for-toddlers.html
- Learnmonth, Michael. "How the iPad Became Child's Play" Ad Age Digital. June 7, 2010. (August 3, 2011). "http://adage.com/article/digital/ipad-child-s-play-learning-tool/144284/
- PBS. "6 Tips for Buying Children's Apps." (August 11, 2011). http://www.pbs.org/parents/childrenandmedia/article-6-tips-for-buying-children%27s-apps.html
- Worley, Becky. "Parent Debate: Do iPads and Smartphones Really Teach Toddlers to Read?" ABC News. May 18, 2011. (August 10, 2011). http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/parent-debate-ipads-smartphones-teach-toddlers-read/story?id=13626381
Tablets can be used to shop online or to compare prices while you're shopping in physical stores. Find out how tablets have changed the retail world.