When I started researching this article, I thought it did not apply to me yet, although I might learn something that would change my practices. My first surprise was the realization that through e-mail, social networking and a blog, I am already using cloud data storage.
I learned that cloud computing is rapidly evolving, and that today's best answers might not apply a few years from now.
Probably because things are changing so rapidly, I did not find definitive answers to the question at hand. The general consensus is that for most people and most data, professional cloud storage is at least as safe as the alternatives. I talked to some computer professionals, most of whom were willing to share their opinions but did not want to be cited as sources.
- Clark, Andrew. Director of Strategy, IBM Venture Capital Group. Personal interview via e-mail. Sept. 20, 2012.
- Dachis, Adam. "Use Multiple Online Cloud Storage Services for Free and Organized Backup." Lifehacker. (Sept. 15, 2012) http://lifehacker.com/5788508/use-multiple-online-cloud-storage-services-for-free-and-organized-backup
- Dilger, Daniel Eran. Microsoft's Danger Sidekick Loss Casts Dark on Cloud Computing." Apple Insider. Oct. 11, 2009. (Sept. 19 2012) http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/11/microsofts_danger_sidekick_data_loss_casts_dark_on_cloud_computing.html
- "Get Your Own Personal Cloud!" Akitio. (Sept. 19, 2012) http://www.akitio.com/information-center/get-your-own-personal-cloud
- "Is it worth backing up to the cloud?" AskJack Blog, The Guardian. (Sept. 15, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2012/feb/16/ask-jack-backup-cloud-computing/print.
- Kleyman, Bill. "Creative Ways to Deliver Cloud Computing Services. Data Center Knowledge. (Sept. 14, 2012) http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/09/13/cloud-computing-a-look-at-the-delivery-model/
- Lynn, Samara. "How to Buy a NAS." PC Mag. (Sept. 16, 2012) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354173,00.asp
- Manjoo, Farhad. "You Should Back Up Your Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter Accounts. Slate.com. Aug. 17, 2012. (Sept. 18, 2012) http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/08/backupify_yes_you_should_back_up_your_gmail_facebook_and_twitter_accounts_here_s_how_to_do_it_.html
- McCabe, Laurie. "What is Cloud Computing and Why Should You Care?" Small Business Computing. March 11, 2009, Updated Oct. 5, 2011. (Sept. 17, 2012) http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/biztools/article.php/3809726/What-is-Cloud-Computing--and-Why-Should-You-Care.htm
- Mell, Peter and Timothy Grance. "The NIST Definition of Cloud Computing." National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Department of Commerce. (Sept. 15, 2012) http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-145/SP800-145.pdf
- Mozy. "MozyHome Frequently Asked Questions." (Sept. 17, 2012) http://mozy.com/home/faq
- Rodriguez, Andres. "Using the Cloud for Backup: You're Missing the Point." TechNewsWorld. May 10, 2011. (Sept. 15, 2012) http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72421.html
- Thomas, Keir. "Choosing Cloud Backup for PCs." PC World. (Sept. 24, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/223354/choosing_cloud_backup_for_pcs.html
- What Is a NAS and Why Do I Need One?" The Digital Den. Seagate. (Sept. 15, 2012) http://consumer.media.seagate.com/2010/08/the-digital-den/what-is-a-nas-and-why-do-i-need-one/