The Webby Ceremony
Once the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences has made its choices, Webby Award winners are announced at official ceremonies. In 2010, the Webby Awards were announced on May 4, but the Annual Webby Gala will take place in New York City on June 14. Winners receive certificates and statuettes that look like springs inscribed with binary code.
The Webby Awards ceremony has one big difference from many other major award ceremonies -- recipients have a strict limit for the length of their acceptance speech. The Oscars give recipients a time limit, and we all know about the infamous tactic of "cuing the music" to encourage especially verbose award-winners to leave the stage. But the Webbys go one step further, giving recipients an explicit word limit. People who receive Webby Awards have to make their point in five words or fewer. Here are a few of the five-word speeches from the 2009 ceremony, from the Webby Awards official site:
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee: Free... open... Keep one Web.
- Wired.com: Wired wins another Webby, wow.
- International Women's Media Foundation: Newspapers die, we're not.
- The Nature Conservancy - Protecting Nature, Preserving Life: Thanks, now save the planet.
- Edutopia.org: Dude, we got an A.
- Biz Stone/Twitter: Creativity is a renewable resource.
For more information about the Webbys and other awards, please check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Hailey, Arin. "Webbys Recognize Best Sites." PCWorld. June 6, 2003.http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111060,00.asp
- International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences. http://www.iadas.net/membership.php
- "Webbys Attract Diverse Nominees." BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3646227.stm
- Webby Awards. http://www.webbyawards.com
- "Springbox's Lollapalooza site up for award." MSN Money.http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?Feed=ACBJ&Date=20070413&ID=6744053
- "Welcome to the Webby Awards." http://www.webbyawards.com/press/press-release.php?id=127