The latest trend in computing is wearable computers. Essentially, common computer applications (e-mail, database, multimedia, calendar/scheduler) are integrated into watches, cell phones, visors and even clothing. Many other wearables target outdoors enthusiasts and fitness freaks, allowing them to track their location, altitude, calories burned, steps, speed, and much, much more.
The Apple iWatch, now in its fourth incarnation, is one of the best reviewed wearables to date. This small watch has many of the functionalities of a full-blown smartphone. It lets you perform normal texting and email duties. And it has a built-in cell phone, unlike some other smart watches that must be paired with a phone to make calls. It even has a built-in electrical heart sensor that you can use to take an electrocardiogram and share it instantly with your doctor [source: Apple].
But watches are just the beginning. Sewn-in accessories for clothing are growing, as are smart eyeglasses, smart belts, sleep monitors, heart rate trackers and intelligent ear buds. A company called MC10 is even touting skin patches that will track various biological processes happening in your body [source: Pervasive Computing].
Wearables are indeed a new horizon in personal computing. Their flexibility and mind-warping potential speak to the idea that the computer revolution isn't over. If anything, the PC era might just be getting underway.
Last editorial update on Sep 24, 2018 03:15:18 pm.
More Great Links
- Alba, Davey. "Why on Earth is IBM Still Making Mainframes?" Wired. Jan. 13, 2015. https://www.wired.com/2015/01/z13-mainframe/
- Abell, John. "Jan. 19, 1983: Apple Gets Graphic With Lisa." Wired. Jan. 19, 2010. https://www.wired.com/2010/01/0119apple-unveils-lisa/
- Alfred, Randy. "Aug. 12, 1981: IBM Gets Personal with 5150 PC." Wired. August 12, 2011. https://www.wired.com/2011/08/0812ibm-5150-personal-computer-pc/
- Bellis, Mary. "The History of Laptop Computers." ThoughtCo. April 19, 2018. https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-laptop-computers-4066247
- Benton, Brian. "Workstation vs. Desktop Computer: Which Does Your Office Need?" Redshift. March 19, 2013. https://www.autodesk.com/redshift/pc-versus-workstation/
- Britannica. "PDA Handheld Computer." https://www.britannica.com/technology/PDA
- Britannica. "Personal Computer." https://www.britannica.com/technology/personal-computer
- Brown, Michael. "How to Choose a Server for Your Small Business." PC World. March 21, 2012. https://www.pcworld.com/article/251993/how_to_choose_a_server_for_your_small_business.html
- CNET. "Best Wearable Tech for 2018." https://www.cnet.com/topics/wearable-tech/best-wearable-tech/
- Comen, Evan. "How Much Did a Personal Computer Cost the Year You Were Born?" USA Today. June 22, 2018. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/06/22/cost-of-a-computer-the-year-you-were-born/36156373/
- Computing History. "Osborne 1." http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/504/osborne-1/
- Data Center Knowledge. "Google Data Center FAQ." March 16, 2017. https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2017/03/16/google-data-center-faq
- History.com. "Invention of the PC." https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/invention-of-the-pc
- Hall, Christine. "Why Mainframes Aren't Going Away Any Time Soon." Data Center Knowledge. Feb. 7, 2018. https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/hardware/why-mainframes-arent-going-away-any-time-soon
- IBM. "What is a Mainframe? It's a Style of Computing." https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/zosbasics/com.ibm.zos.zmainframe/zconc_whatismainframe.htm
- IEEE Pervasive Computing. "Wearables: The Next Big Thing as Smartphones Mature." Feb. 22, 2018. https://publications.computer.org/pervasive-computing/2018/02/22/wearables-next-big-thing-smartphones/
- Intel. "Workstation or PC: How to Decide What Type of System is Right for You." https://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-brief/workstation-xeon-e3-workstation-or-pc-comparison-brief.pdf
- Krynin, Mark. "What is a Netbook?" LifeWire. March 5, 2018. https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-netbook-832315
- Lenovo. "What is a Netbook?" https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/faqs/laptop-faqs/what-is-a-netbook/
- Mitchell, Bradley, "Servers are the Heart of the Internet." LifeWire. July 2, 2018. https://www.lifewire.com/servers-in-computer-networking-817380
- Moore-Colyer, Roland. "Desktop PC Sales Slumped in 2017 as the Death Rattle Sounds Once Again." The Inquirer. March 1, 2018. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3027646/desktop-pc-sales-slumped-in-2017-as-death-rattle-sounds-once-again
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "NOAA Kicks Off 2018 with Massive Supercomputer Upgrade." Jan. 10, 2018. http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-kicks-off-2018-with-massive-supercomputer-upgrade
- Nguyen, Tuan C. "The History of Smartphones." ThoughtCo. Oct. 3, 2017. https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-smartphones-4096585
- PCWorld. "The 25 Greatest PCs of All Time." Aug. 11, 2006. https://www.pcworld.com/article/126692/greatest_pcs_of_all_time.html?page=6
- TechTarget. "Workstation." https://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/workstation
- TechTarget. "Personal Digital Assistant." https://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/personal-digital-assistant
- Tom's Hardware. "Intel Drops 'Pentium' Brand." Jan. 14, 2006. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-drops-pentium-brand,1832-2.html
- Wolfson, Elijah. "The U.S. Surpassed China with a Supercomputer Capable of as Many Calculations per Second as 6.3 Billion Humans." QZ.com. June 9, 2018. https://qz.com/1301510/the-us-has-the-worlds-fastest-supercomputer-again-the-200-petaflop-summit/
- Zimmerman, Kim Ann. "History of Computers: A Brief Timeline." LiveScience. Sept. 6, 2017. https://www.livescience.com/20718-computer-history.html
Supercomputers are getting backing from the White House. Learn more about supercomputers in the U.S. at HowStuffWorks Now.