This article was part of a suite of pieces about cloud computing, cloud storage and the future of personal computing. When I wrote the article, cloud computing was a buzz phrase that only computer scientists, engineers and a few tech journalists used. It's now well on its way to becoming a household term. We see cloud computing applications everywhere. Smartphone apps use cloud computing technology to let you store and access data that normally wouldn't fit on your handheld device. Research institutions use cloud computing to house massive libraries of information. And video game companies are experimenting with ways to let you access state-of-the-art games without requiring a hefty investment in a gaming rig. It can be difficult to tell when a particular computing model will take off, but I think we can make the note that cloud computing is a huge success.
- Bogatin, Donna. "Google CEO's new paradigm: 'cloud computing and advertising go hand-in-hand.'" ZDNet. Aug. 23, 2006. Retrieved March 11, 2008. http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=369
- Brodkin, Jon. "IBM unveils 'cloud computing.'" Network World. Nov. 19, 2007. Vol. 24, Iss. 45. pg. 10.
- Carr, Nicholas. "'World Wide Computer' is on horizon." USA Today. February 25, 2008.
- Hickins, Michael. "Cloud Computing Gets Down to Earth." eWeek. January 21, 2008. pg. 14.
- "IBM Introduces Ready-to-Use Cloud Computing." IBM. Nov. 15, 2007. http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/22613.wss
- Lohr, Steve. "Cloud Computing and EMC Deal." New York Times. Feb. 25, 2008. pg. C 6.
- Lohr, Steve. "Google and I.B.M. Jon in 'Cloud Computing' Research." New York Times. Oct. 8, 2007. pg. C 8.
- Lohr, Steve. "I.B.M. to Push 'Cloud Computing,' Using Data From Afar." New York Times. Nov. 15, 2007. pg. C 7.
- McAllister, Neil. "Server virtualization." InfoWorld. Feb. 12, 2007. Retrieved March 12, 2008. http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/02/12/07FEvirtualserv_1.html
- Markoff, John. "An Internet Critic Who Is Not Shy About Ruffling the Big Names in High Technology." New York Times. Apr. 9, 2001. pg. C 6.
- Markoff, John. "Software via the Internet: Microsoft in 'Cloud' Computing." New York Times. Sep. 3, 2007. pg. C 1.
- "Middleware." Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute. Retrieved March 12, 2004. http://www.sei.cmu.edu/str/descriptions/middleware_body.html.
- Naone, Erica. "Computer in the Cloud." Technology Review. Sept. 18, 2007. Retrieved March 12, 2008. http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/19397/?a=f
- "Report sees big shift in IT delivery." IT Week. London. Nov. 5, 2007.
- Swanson, Bret and Gilder, George. "Unleashing the 'Exaflood.'" Wall Street Journal. Feb. 22, 2008. pg. A 15.
- "The future of IT? It's not all bad news, Nick Carr says." Network World. Jan. 14, 2008. Vol. 25, Iss. 2. pg. 8.