Facebook Music Player
Besides posting links to music and videos elsewhere on the Internet, you can also upload your own creations to Facebook. Sharing your original work isn't just a fun way to keep in touch with friends. It's also an excellent tool for artists to foster name recognition among millions of Facebook users.
Facebook's primary tool for uploading audio content is its Music Player app. From the Music Player app page, click the "add to my page" link in the left hand navigation menu and select your desired page for installation. Next, click "manage my pages" and choose the profile page where you just added Music Player. Click on "edit page" and then select "apps" from the navigation menu. Click on the "edit settings" link associated with Music Player, and then click "add."
To upload an MP3 to the Music Player, click the "go to app" link for Music Player in your apps list, then click "add a track." You can browse your hard drive to locate the desired track, and then click "upload file." You will be prompted to fill out a brief form verifying that the content is yours and that there is no copyright infringement taking place with the upload. This form serves as your digital signature.
Before you share audio content on Facebook, be sure you're aware of the following limitations and rights:
- Facebook limits each video you record or upload to 1,024 MB or 20 minutes in length.
- Facebook protects the IP rights of others if they can prove ownership of the content. To avoid confrontations, only post content you can legally distribute online.
In addition to Facebook's Music Player app, you can also use third party Facebook apps designed for artists who want to promote their work. As with the apps described earlier, each app has its own functions and quirks. Here are some you might be interested in using:
- SoundCloud lets you upload tracks to its site and share it in any of several social networking Web sites. With the SoundCloud app for Facebook, you can add a player to your Facebook page where people can listen to your tracks and share them with their Facebook friends.
- Band Profile turns the Facebook page for your band into a complete promotional portal. Band Profile helps you share tracks, list upcoming gigs, sell music and grow your fan base. The Band Profile app synchronizes with an account at ReverbNation, a Web site that provides online marketing tools for musicians.
- Livestream lets you add live audio and video streaming of an event to your Facebook page. This app connects to your channel at Livestream so fans and friends who can't make it to the show can still enjoy the gig through a live online broadcast.
In this article, we've examined how Facebook can help you share the music you love from other artists and promote your own musical creations, and some of the things you should think about when using music apps to upload and play your tunes. For even more about adding music to your Facebook experience, fast forward to the next page.
More Great Links
- Van Buskirk, Eliot. "Top 20 Facebook Music Apps." Wired.com. Conde Nast Digital. Mar. 10, 2011. (July 26, 2011) http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/03/top-20-facebook-music-apps/all/1
- VEVO. "About Us." (July 26, 2011) http://www.vevo.com/About